Mediterranean Lamb and Bean Salad
This savory salad combines lamb, artichokes, beans and feta cheese with a tangy dressing. "It's also good with chicken or beef in place of the lamb," notes Lora Winckler of Sunnyside, Washington.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb
- 2 jars (6-1/2 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese, optional
- Grill lamb, covered, over medium heat for 10-20 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Cut into cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb, artichokes, kidney beans, green beans, red pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the salad dressing, vinegar and pepper; pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve with feta cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 289 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 700mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Mediterranean Grilled Lamb & Bean Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2007