- 1 large eggplant (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (16 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 drops liquid smoke, optional
- Minced fresh parsley
- Optional ingredients: naan flatbread wedges or miniature pitas, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, julienned red pepper, baby carrots and Greek olives
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1-in. slices; place on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Top with onion and garlic cloves. Drizzle with oil.
- Roast 40-45 minutes or until eggplant is very soft, turning and stirring vegetables once. Cool slightly.
- Place eggplant mixture in a food processor; process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sour cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper and, if desired, liquid smoke.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with flatbread and vegetables as desired. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews forMediterranean Eggplant Dip
"I agree that this recipe calls for too much sour cream . I made this for a large crowd, so I doubled the amount of eggplant and other ingredients, but used only 8 oz sour cream for the whole dip, so the flavor of the roasted eggplant was not lost. It was delicious and made a huge quantity."
"It was good but I feel that 16 oz of sour cream was too much. I used a 12 oz container and still thought it was too much. I think next time I'll do around 8-10 oz"
"Loved, loved this!! Great on toasted pita. carrots & raw broccoli. Husband and daughter loved. Would also make a great filling for a sandwich or on bagels. Field Editor"