- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced quartered seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint or 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole wheat pita breads, halved, warmed
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from the skillet; cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, oregano, mint and salt; shake well. Pour over chicken mixture; toss gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Line pita halves with lettuce; fill with chicken mixture, using a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMediterranean Chicken Sandwiches
"I made this last night and my husband asked for more! I cooked the chicken on my stove-top "grill" and was glad to have another use for the mint in my yard. We'll be having this again soon."