- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced pitted green olives
- 1 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken, pasta and vegetables are tender, adding orzo during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMediterranean Chicken Orzo
"I followed the recipe, and was disappointed. The herbs de Provence was overwhelming. If I make this again, I would use only 1/2 of the spice, and replace it with smoked paprika or Italian seasoning."
"I'm always looking for an excuse to use green olives so I was excited to try this recipe. I dashed out to the store to get herbs de provence. I should have looked more closely at what's in this herb mixture. The minute I sprinkled it in I could smell the lavender and rosemary which we do not care for. My bad........ I like the basic ingredients in this dish but next time I will add thyme, oregano, marjoram and savory instead of herb mixture."
"This was very good. I didn't have herbes de Provence so I improvised. I used Kalamata and green w/pimento olives. If you want a little extra zing add olive juice to taste. I didn't have time for the slow cooker so I seasoned and seared 2 chicken breast w/a shallot and shredded carrot and seasonings. Added 1 can of chicken broth and a little water and cooked until chicken was done. Cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces and added everything else and cooked until orzo was soft."