Mediterranean Chicken and Orzo
This mouthwatering Mediterranean dish is the perfect recipe for large dinner parties. I get rave reviews every time I serve it. —Allyson Fertig, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 6-1/2 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Mix 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt; sprinkle over chicken. Bake, uncovered, 18-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Cut chicken into thin strips.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook orzo according to package directions, adding spinach during the last minute of cooking. Drain and return to pan. In a small bowl, whisk oil, mustard, oregano and remaining basil, rosemary and garlic salt; add to orzo. Add tomatoes, 1 cup Asiago cheese, feta cheese, pine nuts and chicken; toss to combine. Sprinkle with remaining Asiago cheese.