If you're going to a potluck with Phyllis Bertin of Thunder Bay, Ontario, make sure to taste a serving of her savory stew. Slices of zucchini are mixed with ground beef, pork sausage and a assortment of other vegetables to create this one-dish wonder.
Recommended: Top 10 Lunch Recipes Under 300 Calories
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 medium zucchini, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain and set aside. Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice; set tomatoes aside. In the same pan, combine the peppers, celery, onion and reserved juice. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the meat, tomatoes, zucchini, tomato juice and seasonings. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender, stirring occasionally. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Zucchini Stew in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p35