Meaty Vegetable Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Look for brightly colored zucchini that has few blemishes. In general, the smaller the squash, the more tender it will be. Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Two pounds yields about 4-1/2 cups chopped zucchini.
1 each: 151 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.