Meaty Vegetable Chili
Spaghetti sauce gives an Italian twist to this chunky chili, which my husband can't get enough of. I always reach for this recipe when my zucchini crop is booming.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Look for brightly colored zucchini that has few blemishes. In general, the smaller the squash, the more tender it will be. Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Two pounds yields about 4-1/2 cups chopped zucchini.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 151 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Meaty Vegetable Chili in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.