- 4 large sweet onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 5 slices day-old bread, crumbled
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Peel onions and cut 1/2 in. off tops and bottoms. Place onions in a large saucepan. Cover with boiling water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- Cool slightly. Carefully remove inside layers of onion, separating into eight individual shells (refrigerate remaining onion for another use). Drain on paper towels.
- In a skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the remaining ingredients. Spoon into the onion shells.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forMeaty Stuffed Onions
"I thought the photograph was beautiful, so I wanted to try this myself. I was a little worried that mine wouldn't turn out as well as the picture. I don't know if I didn't wait long enough for the onions to cool, or if I didn't cut them good enough, but I had problems getting the pieces of onion apart, and quite a few tore. However, I did get some apart and was able to stuff some. I tought the filling was delicious! I'm not sure if I would make this again necessarily as is--I may make the meat filling and use it in a different way because it's so good. Cooking the beef and sausage together helps the beef taste like sausage, which I liked. If I do try this recipes again and stuff onions, I think I will use different onions--I'm not too big of a fan of sweet onions."