Meaty Pita Pockets
Lemon juice gives this meat mixture a Middle Eastern flavor, making it one of my family's favorite meals. The pine nuts or sunflower kernels add a bit of crunch. - Lauren McMann, Blairsville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 pita breads, halved
- In a skillet, saute onions and pine nuts in oil until onions are tender and nuts are toasted. Add beef; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain. Stir in tomatoes, green pepper, lemon juice, parsley, vinegar, salt, allspice and cayenne; mix well. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture into each pita half.
Store pine nuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months or freezer for up to 6 months.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 557 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1021mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Meaty Pita Pockets in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.