Meaty Pita Pockets
Lemon juice gives this meat mixture a Middle Eastern flavor, making it one of my family's favorite meals. The pine nuts or sunflower kernels add a bit of crunch. - Lauren McMann, Blairsville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 pita breads, halved
- In a skillet, saute onions and pine nuts in oil until onions are tender and nuts are toasted. Add beef; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain. Stir in tomatoes, green pepper, lemon juice, parsley, vinegar, salt, allspice and cayenne; mix well. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture into each pita half.
Store pine nuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months or freezer for up to 6 months.