- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian pork sausage
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 jar (23-1/2 ounces) Italian sausage and garlic spaghetti sauce
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky mild salsa
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 jar (24 ounces) three-cheese spaghetti sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage, mushrooms, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Drain pasta; add to the meat mixture. Stir in the tomatoes, sausage and garlic spaghetti sauce, salsa and pepperoni.
- Preheat oven to 350° . Divide half of pasta mixture between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Spread 3/4 cup of three-cheese spaghetti sauce over each. Top with remaining pasta mixture and three-cheese spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
Cover and bake 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Cover unbaked casserole and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Reviews forMeaty Pasta Casseroles
"Made this awhile ago and had the second one in the freezer. Several days ago we lost our Brother-in law to cancer. We pulled the second one out of the freezer and brought it to my Sister's home because we knew there would be a lot of people there. It was a big hit and feed a lot of people. Going to make it again just to have ready in freezer for next emergency."
"This recipe is fabulous!!! I have a family of 6 so a 9x13 is perfect for us!! And another one to freeze. We were so impressed!!! The only thing I added was a lot of fresh minced garlic (heaping soup spoon full). Added it with the other veggies."
"This is a keeper. easy to make and loved by everyone."
"This is everyone's absolute favorite thing I make. It's an impressive dish that everyone loves. It's also great because it makes two pans, so you can freeze the second one to eat at a later date."
"Loved this dish found it great to make and use at large family functions Simply Delicious 5+ stars from our family."
"This recipe is fabulous!! There are only two of us, so I put in 8x8 casseroles, cooked one and froze the remainder. We have leftovers for tomorrow! Cant wait to finish. It does make a lot. It did take me a little longer than 45 minutes to prepare, but was worth the time!!! Thank you so much and keep those recipes coming!!!"
"I have made this dish twice now for guest. It is a keeper and I look forward to making it again."
"Delicious! I made this with italian turkey sausage..."
"Amazing dish! I didn't need to change a thing - this has SO much flavor and was so easy to make! A BIG HIT with my family, I will definitely be making it again! Thanks!!"
"Thoroughly enjoyed this recipe! Just use your imagination for lighter substitutes if you want less fat/sodium, etc. However, I LOVE getting recipes just like this. I rarely follow the recipe word for word, but add and delete what I want and it is superb!!"