Meaty Mexican Sandwiches
I like to serve these hearty sandwiches on Super Bowl Sunday along with a green salad, rice and beans. Everyone raves about the great combination of flavors and textures.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 6 hard rolls, split
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a large skillet, cook the pork, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the ketchup, raisins, vinegar and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in almonds.
- Hollow out the top and bottom of each roll, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Fill each roll with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Top with cheese and lettuce; replace top of roll.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 495 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Meaty Mexican Sandwiches in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.