Meaty Macaroni Bake
We go to lots of rodeos. This is an ideal casserole to make in the morning and pop into the oven when we get home.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Additional mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, macaroni, mushrooms, cheeses and bread crumbs. Spoon into a 3-qt. baking dish. Top with meat mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with additional mozzarella cheese if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
1 each: 441 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 18, 2012
Delicious and my kids loved it. Simple too.
Oct 2, 2011
Great recipe for a church potluck.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC