VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Additional mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, macaroni, mushrooms, cheeses and bread crumbs. Spoon into a 3-qt. baking dish. Top with meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with additional mozzarella cheese if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Macaroni Bake in Country Extra March 2002, p51
Reviews forMeaty Macaroni Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2012
"Delicious and my kids loved it. Simple too."
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2011
"Great recipe for a church potluck."