Meaty Garden Salad
My sister-in-law originally made this hearty, filling salad. Over the years, I've modified it slightly, but it's still a favorite of the men in the family - Jo Jaquith, Marietta, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. CooK: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup instant rice
- 3 medium unpeeled cucumbers, cubed
- 4 plum tomatoes, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salad dressing of your choice
- In a skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Stir in rice; remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until tender. Combine the rice and beef in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Add cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, onions, green pepper, salt and pepper; mix well. Serve with salad dressing.
For even more fresh flavor, forgo the salad dressing and just squeeze lemon wedges over the top of Meaty Garden Salad.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 110 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Meaty Garden Salad in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book