Meaty Cornbread Squares
Working full-time outside of the home doesn't allow me to cook as often as I'd like. So when I get a spare moment, I create plenty of delicious foods for my family. This is an all-time favorite I'm asked to make often.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 pound diced fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice; set tomatoes aside. In a large skillet, combine the ham, onion, chili powder, garlic and tomatoes Cook over medium heat until onion is crisp-tender. Combine the cornstarch and reserved juice. Gradually add to meat mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the eggs, corn, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread half the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Spoon meat mixture over batter. Sprinkle with cheese. Spoon remaining batter on top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 522 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 1692mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Meaty Cornbread Squares in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.