Meaty Cornbread Squares
Working full-time outside of the home doesn't allow me to cook as often as I'd like. So when I get a spare moment, I create plenty of delicious foods for my family. This is an all-time favorite I'm asked to make often.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 pound diced fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice; set tomatoes aside. In a large skillet, combine the ham, onion, chili powder, garlic and tomatoes Cook over medium heat until onion is crisp-tender. Combine the cornstarch and reserved juice. Gradually add to meat mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the eggs, corn, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread half the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Spoon meat mixture over batter. Sprinkle with cheese. Spoon remaining batter on top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 522 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 1692mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Meaty Cornbread Squares in Country Pork