- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup canned whole tomatoes, cut up and undrained
- 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- In a 4-cup rice cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Press cooking selector lever to illuminate cook light. Cover and cook until light turns off, about 45 minutes.
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in sausage; add to rice mixture. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forMeaty Cabbage and Rice
"I have been making this recipe for years (since the issue came out) and honestly, a rice cooker is the easiest way to make it....worth the investment!!!! NO changes."
"Brown the beef, breaking it up. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and parsley and cook till tender. Add coooked long grain rice making sure not to "overrice" the meat mixture. Cook cabbage with onion and butter. Break some up and put into the ground beef mixture. Spread the cabbage in the bottom of a large pan, adding the meat mixture with the cabbage and rice added. Dot with butter and bake on 350 degrees until completely hot. Delicious stuffed cabbage casserole!!"
"I made this, doubled the receipe, it was a little hot next time will use mild tomatoes and peppers. Cooked it on top of the stove, it was really good."
"Here is another way to cook rice. I use a pressure cooker. Place rice and prescribed amount of water, you may also season at this time. I also sub chicken stock or broth for the water. Allow pressure to build; when it fobs, remove from heat immediately and let set 5 minutes. This works well for small portions - like 7 oz of rice - I'm single and do not cook large portions."
"You may cook the rice on a stove top or in a steamer. As per the package instructions. When rice is done fluff it with a fork and follow the rest of the recipe's instructions. It will turn out the same."
"Not a Crock Pot or casserole was mentioned ..Only a Rice Cooker???Regina ,Texas"
"What about using a crock pot?"
"I think I would brownt the meat and add the remaining items and cook on the stove top."
"I agree. I don't have a rice cooker & don't plan to purchase one. How about a conversion. I will try the 1st 7 ingredients in a sauce pan to cook the rice and then proceed with the rest."