Meaty Bean Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage links, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, cook the chicken and sausage in oil until for about 10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, thyme, pepper, chicken and sausage.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 45 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 334 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Nov 6, 2017
Great for one of those cool weather days. Will make again
Jul 29, 2009
Good hearty meal. My 3 kids all ate and enjoyed it without me constantly reminding them to eat their food. I only used 2 cans of Great Northern beans and 1 can of Red beans, then topped it all with shredded cheese. Very Good!!!!