I love having family over for breakfast, and they all look forward to this down-home specialty. Cinnamon, nutmeg and apple slices help combine the flavors of the four different meats in this robust dish. I slice and cook the meat the day before to save time in the morning.
Recommended: 26 Healthy Meals in a Bowl
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup cranberry-apple juice
- 1 pound fully cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cubed
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 3/4 pound pork sausage links, cooked and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a skillet, saute apple slices in butter; sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until apples are tender. Combine cornstarch and juice until smooth; stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the sausage and ham; heat through. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Apple Skillet in Quick Cooking March/April 2002, p31