- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2-1/2 teaspoons each dried thyme, basil and oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place zucchini in a large saucepan; add 1/2 in. water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine egg and ricotta cheese.
- Drain noodles. Place 1/2 cup tomato sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with three noodles. Layer with half of the ricotta mixture and zucchini. Top with half of the remaining tomato sauce and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forMeatless Zucchini Lasagna
"I thought the sauce flavors worked really well. I made it a few hours ahead so the flavors had time to meld, so maybe that helped. What I didn't particularly care for is that this is a pretty labor-intensive recipe. Make the sauce, cook the zucchini, cook the pasta, assemble...... Not a recipe for me to make when time is short. However, I may very well make this again. Nice homey casserole!"
"I used a jar of sauce to save time. Everyone loves this recipe and the leftovers taste just as wonderful the next day."
"I didn't use the sauce in the recipe and substituted my own canned homemade sauce. It took about a pint which I basically divided into thirds for the layers of sauce. We really liked this, and I will be making it again."
"This was not very good. I agree with the person who said it would have been good with different sauce. It's a good idea but didn't quite hit the mark for me."
"YUMMM!! This looks so great and tastes just as great!!! How could I not make it???"
"Fabulous! Kids loved it, too"
"This was the best lasagna I have ever made! You can't tell that this is light and healthier for you. Everyone that I have passed the recipe on to has absolutely loved it! Highly recommended!"
"I find that the concept of this recipe is a great idea, but the sauce that you make out of the tomato paste/water/seasonings is very lacking in flavor and actually takes away from the lasagna. When I make this again, I'm going to use a jarred sauce or find a really good sauce recipe to make first."