Meatless Spinach Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 65 min. + standing
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-3/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 12 no-cook lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add creams. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, spinach, carrot and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Spread 3/4 cup sauce mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with four noodles (noodles will overlap slightly), half of the ricotta mixture, 1 cup sauce and 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and mozzarella cheese. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over lasagna (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 55 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 503 calories, 33g fat (21g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Jan 27, 2018
This is a wonderful recipe! People have to realize that you would add garlic if you like that, add herbs if you like that add salt if you want it. The recipe is great. Make it your own by adding what you like. I also use Panko crumbs because I like the crunch. This reminds me of Stouffers and we like that. Go lighter on the cheese if you don’t want it cheesy. Come on people, use your head here. I’ve tried other vegetable lasagnas and they don’t compare. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
May 2, 2013
This is really just too cheesy. Not much in the way of seasonings. Just more cheese.I had hoped with the spinach and carrot, t would be okay, anyway. That was the problem --- it was just okay. We have a good number of other tastier options. Won't keep this recipe.
Jan 19, 2012
but i would use garlic in sause and pepper garlic salt mushrooms onions in butter then add to the rest of the mixture and for the bread crumbs i used panco and added garlic salt parmssan cheese and italian seasoning was really tastey and delicious
Sep 30, 2010
Great base recipe but I agree with the earlier rating. it needs seasoning. I followed the recipe exactly but next time I will salt and pepper and maybe garlic the white sauce. A touch of nutmeg in with the spinach portion would be lovely too. I was excited to try this white sauce meatless lasagna- delicious!
Feb 10, 2009
This needs seasoning and flavor. I added two cloves of garlic in the butter at the start of it and also added garlic salt and fresh ground pepper to the cream sauce. I chopped up five green onions and added to the ricotta mix too. Turned out very tasty. As written this sounded very bland.
Dec 17, 2008
Very good lasagna recipe. The sauce is creamy and tastes great. A good way to eat spinach!!
Oct 23, 2008
This is yummy. It's very comforting and easy too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.