Meatless Black Bean Lasagna
You won't miss the meat in this flavor-packed black bean lasagna! —Julie Ferron
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- In a food processor, puree 1 cup of beans with 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside. In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add wine; simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the tomato puree, tomatoes, sugar, oregano, bay leaf, and the remaining black beans, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Discard bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, cilantro and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer three noodles, half of the ricotta mixture and a third of the tomato-bean sauce. Top with a third of the mozzarella; sprinkle with a third of the remaining Parmesan.
- Top with three noodles; layer with pureed bean mixture and a third each of the tomato-bean sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Top with remaining noodles, ricotta mixture, tomato-bean sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.