Meatless Black Bean Lasagna
You won't miss the meat in this flavor-packed black bean lasagna! —Julie Ferron
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- In a food processor, puree 1 cup of beans with 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside. In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add wine; simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the tomato puree, tomatoes, sugar, oregano, bay leaf, and the remaining black beans, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Discard bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, cilantro and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer three noodles, half of the ricotta mixture and a third of the tomato-bean sauce. Top with a third of the mozzarella; sprinkle with a third of the remaining Parmesan.
- Top with three noodles; layer with pureed bean mixture and a third each of the tomato-bean sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Top with remaining noodles, ricotta mixture, tomato-bean sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 456 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 1006mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Black Bean Lasagna in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.