Meatballs with Vegetable Sauce
"This is such an easy way to do meatballs without all the mess of frying and turning each one," writes Dorothy Stegall of Appleton, Wisconsin. Best of all, they can be made ahead and frozen, then added to the tangy, vegetable-rich sauce and served over noodles or rice.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beef broth
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the mushrooms, celery, onion and green pepper in butter. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, broth, lemon juice and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the meatballs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve over noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 367 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 749mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Meatballs with Vegetable Sauce in Country Woman November/December 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.