Meatballs with Rice
A pound of ground beef goes a long way in this recipe. I especially like to take it to potluck suppers.—Mina Dyck, Boissevain, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of asparagus soup, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- In a bowl, combine the beef, oats, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, celery salt and parsley. Shape by tablespoonfuls into meatballs. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, combine rice, celery, onion, mushrooms, soup, water and remaining salt. Transfer meatballs to a greased 3-qt. casserole; pour soup mixture over. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 250 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 866mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Meatballs with Rice in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.