Meatballs with Rice
A pound of ground beef goes a long way in this recipe. I especially like to take it to potluck suppers.—Mina Dyck, Boissevain, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of asparagus soup, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- In a bowl, combine the beef, oats, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, celery salt and parsley. Shape by tablespoonfuls into meatballs. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, combine rice, celery, onion, mushrooms, soup, water and remaining salt. Transfer meatballs to a greased 3-qt. casserole; pour soup mixture over. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 250 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 866mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Meatballs with Rice in Country Ground Beef