- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- CREAM SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, oats, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in flour, shaking off excess.
- Place meatballs on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes. Turn meatballs; bake 12-15 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain meatballs on paper towels; transfer to a serving dish. Serve with sauce; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMeatballs with Cream Sauce
"The meatballs are so flavorful. With the gravy they're perfect with noodles, rice or mashed potatoes!! Yum!"
"I've been making this recipe since 2001, and love it! The quick-cooking oats make the meatballs very tender! I do use tarragon instead of thyme in the cream sauce. Highly recommend!"
"<p>I just used the sauce recipe. It was excellent. Not too heavy, not too light.</p>"
"I have my own meatball recipe but I came for the sauce. I needed something different than tomato sauce tonight.The e sauce is really good I did make changes to the spices; rosted garlic, Italian seasoning and chicken spices. Then I added 2 slices of bacon to the sauce sooooo good . I will try the meatballs one night."
"We make this recipe all the time. Wonderful with mashed potatoes...and you don't have to make extra gravy...the sauce is good for meatballs and potatoes!"
"I have made this recipe numerous times. I love to cook them for football Sunday, and with the leftovers I will cook egg noodles and pour the meatballs and cream sauce on top. Delicious!!!"
"One of my faves! I make this all the time. Soooo good!"
"This is one of our favorite dinners. I add an extra tablespoon of flour for thicker sauce. We use venison often and it tastes great."
"I made this for my family and we love it. The only thing I changed was the seasoning in the sauce. We don't like thyme so I used marjoram and it was great."