We were hosting a bunch of friends, and after a comedy of errors, I had to come up with a plan B for dinner. Much-loved meatball subs are even better as a hearty casserole—so delicious! —Rick Friedman, Palm Springs, California
Featured In: Easy Weeknight Dinners for Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1-1/2 cups pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat broiler. Microwave meatballs, covered, on high until heated through, 4-6 minutes. Meanwhile, place bread on an ungreased baking sheet; brush one side of bread with oil. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Rub bread with cut surface of garlic; discard garlic. Tear bread into bite-sized pieces; transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Add pasta sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to meatballs; toss to combine. Pour mixture over bread pieces; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, until cheeses are melted, 15-18 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Submarine Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p112