These hot, meaty sandwiches have a tangy barbecue-style sauce rather than the more traditional Italian tomato sauce. Onion an pepper slices make each bite twice as nice. — Kim Marie Van Rheenen, Mendota, Illinois
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 9 submarine sandwich buns
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each roll; scoop out bread from inside. Crumble 1-1/4 cups of the bread and place in a large bowl. Cover rolls and tops with plastic wrap; set aside.
- To the crumbled bread, add beef, egg, milk, diced onion, salt and pepper. Shape into 27 meatballs, about 1-1/2-in. each. In a large skillet, cook meatballs in 1 tablespoon oil for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, saute green peppers and slice onion until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Stir flour into skillet. Add chili sauce and water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and mustard Add meatballs, peppers and onion; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, warm rolls in a 325° oven for 8-10 minutes. Spoon three meatballs and sauce into each roll; replace tops. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Sub Sandwiches in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p39
Reviews forMeatball Sub Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 11, 2010
"Have been making these for years. I have turned them into burgers and top with cheddar cheese. Also use less water for a thicker sauce."