- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. In a skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs; drain. Add carrots and zucchini; cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMeatball Skillet Meal
"I have been looking for something different and when I saw this recipe it fit the bill---something new and healthy too! A great summer dish and way to use up zucchini from the garden.I admit that I made the meatballs more the way I normally do; with breadcrumbs and an egg, not oats and mushrooms. I added the dried oregano and basil, but less than stated as I didn't want too much herb taste(my preference).Carrots take alot longer to cook than zucchini. I recommend adding the tomatoes(I used two cans going by the other reviews) after the 5 minute carrot saute, along with the meatballs and simmering them for about 10 minutes covered and then adding the zucchini and simmer for another 5 or 6 minutes uncovered until softened. Otherwise carrots wont be cooked enough and if you try to cook them more zucchini will be overcooked and mushy."
"Not enough sauce. I will use another half or full can of tomatoes next time. The meatballs were too herb-y for me, although my friend loved them; I'd like to try it with cubed chicken instead. Otherwise the flavor of the vegetables and rice was delicious!"
"Make sure when you chop the mushrooms, pepper and onion that it is chopped REALLY small. Otherwise the meatballs will fall apart while cooking. The meatballs tasted great but the recipe needs something more. There was not enough sauce, my family thought. Otherwise it is a nice easy meal with everything in it."