Meatball Sandwich Slices
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 12 frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs (1/2 ounce each) , thawed
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- Pickled pepper rings, optional
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; set aside. Cut loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Cut a 2-in.-wide strip down the center of each half to within an inch of the bottom of the bread. Remove cut portion and save for another use. If desired, toast bread under the broiler until lightly browned.
- Spread the cut side of bread with cheese mixture. Place six meatballs in each half; top with spaghetti sauce. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cut into slices; top with pepper rings if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 333 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Oct 1, 2011
We're trying this tonight, so I can't review it yet, but it looks kid friendly (small mouths and small hands) and can be eaten like a pizza, so we have our fingers crossed. Half of a sub bun should hold 3 meatballs for the kids and a whole bun will have 5-6 meatballs for the adults since we use small turkey meatballs. Looks like a winner!