I'm frequently asked to bring this casserole to potluck dinners. Folks must enjoy it, because there are never any leftovers to bring home!—Sonya Morton, Molena, Georgia
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- Paprika, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in small batches over medium heat; drain. Sprinkle with flour; gently roll to coat.
- Place half of the potatoes in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with meatballs and remaining potatoes. In a bowl, combine soup and milk until blended; pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Potato Supper in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p71