Meatball Garden Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, 2 tablespoons flour, salt, pepper, egg, milk and onion. Form into 1-in. balls.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Brown meatballs on all sides. Move meatballs to the side. Blend remaining flour into the drippings. Add the broth, water and thyme. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions and stir with meatballs and sauce. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 370 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 16, 2014
This didn't come together for me as described in the instructions. The meatballs would not form and it was time consuming to prepare. As a busy mom I would probably not make it again. But it was good just not as expected.