- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion, divided
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs or rolled oats
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, divided
- 3 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS:
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large bowl, combine egg, 1/4 cup onion, bread crumbs, 3 teaspoons bouillon and 1 teaspoon chili powder; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into twelve 1-1/2-in. meatballs. Roll in flour.
- Heat oil in a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; brown meatballs. Drain on paper towels. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, garlic and cumin with the remaining onion, bouillon and chili powder. Add meatballs. Cover and cook over low heat about 20 minutes. Stir in beans.
- Combine dumpling ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls onto chili; cook on low, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10-12 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in dumpling comes out clean. If desired, sprinkle with minced chives. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMeatball Chili with Dumplings
"Delicious! We prefer my original chili recipe, however, but this recipe is wonderful because it gave me the idea to do meatballs in chili. I make large batches of plain meatballs, then freeze them for future use. This allows me another option for the meatballs, it's delicious, and because of the meatballs my son thinks it's more "fun" than traditional chili."