The Country/Victorian wedding Jim and I planned included a ceremony in front of a hitching post Jim made and two special hula dances (I belong to a Hawaiian dance troupe). A good friend, Linda Allen, prepared this meaty snack, with was a hit.
Recommended: 40 Easy Christmas Appetizers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 packages (1 pound each) miniature smoked sausage links
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 jar (10 ounces) small stuffed olives, drained
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 bottles (20 ounces each) barbecue sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; mix well. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until no longer pink. With a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to two hallow 3-qt. baking dishes. Add sausages, pineapple and olives to each; toss gently to mix. Combine brown sugar and barbecue sauce; pour half over each casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: about 40 servings.
Originally published as Meatball and Sausage Bites in Down the Aisle Country-Style 2000, p26