- 1 pound ground chuck or lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine beef, 1/2 cup soup, onion, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper; mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes; drain.
- Combine potatoes and remaining soup in a bowl; mix until fluffy. Spread over meat crust. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMeat Shell Potato Pie
"I originally turned to this to use up some mashed potatoes, but it turned out to be a popular recipe to use when we had ground beef on the menu, too. easy to make. We used ready-cooked bacon instead of cooking up just 4 strips. Different flavors of mashed potatoes (garlic, cheesy, etc) make interesting variations."
"This was very good!!! It didn't specify whether to mash the potatoes with butter and milk, so I started with just the soup. I ended up adding a little milk to ensure the potatoes didn't get dry when baked. They were perfect! I little topping of sour cream is very good with it."