Meat Sauce for Pasta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
MakesAbout 14 servings
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, chili powder and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Discard bay leaves. Freeze in meal-size portions.
- To use frozen meat sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through. Serve over pasta.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 128 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 773mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 31, 2009
I love this recipe for my large family. It is convenient and extremely versatile.
Mar 9, 2009
I will definately make tis, this week_end and freeze some of it.Can't wait to eat some over pasta. Sounds delious.
Jun 16, 2008
fantastic we love it