Meat ‘n’ Cheese Stromboli
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 loaves (8 servings each)
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 loaves (16 ounces each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 8 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender; set aside.
- On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Arrange the salami, ham and cheeses lengthwise over half of each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with onion mixture; sprinkle with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 294 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 827mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 meat.
Feb 1, 2017
Since my family doesn't like salami, I subbed deli smoked turkey. I generally make 3 of these so I can freeze 2 of them. Family loves these. This is our Sunday night meal once a month . I will invite people over at many of these. My favorite cheeses are provolone and Gouda as both melt well.
Oct 24, 2016
A long-time favorite! This is my family's go-to Stromboli recipe. Friends love it too!
Sep 16, 2012
My family love this recipe. I sometimes add mushrooms. and black olives.
Jan 19, 2011
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! So easy to make. I 've made it for a lot of potlucks and it's always devoured and the recipe requested.
Jan 1, 2011
I have made this many times. It is so good, it makes great leftovers also. I always get great reviews when I make it for our football parties.
Jul 22, 2010
We love this, and it freezes well too!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.