Meat Loaves with Pesto Sauce
The pesto sauce adds herb and cheese flavor that makes this recipe unique. If you're a family of two, prepare the whole recipe and use the leftovers for sandwiches.—Lou Ganser, Grafton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- PESTO SAUCE:
- 2 cups fresh spinach or parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- MEAT LOAVES:
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce,divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- In a blender, combine pesto ingredients. Cover and process until a paste forms. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, onion, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, egg, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons pesto sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four loaves.
- In a skillet, heat oil. Brown meat loaves on all sides. Combine 1 tablespoon pesto sauce, water and remaining tomato sauce; pour over meat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve the loaves topped with tomato-pesto sauce. Refrigerate or freeze remaining pesto sauce for later use.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 903 calories, 79g fat (14g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 1059mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Meat Loaves with Pesto Sauce in Country Ground Beef