- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce, oats, onion, salt, sage and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Press into an ungreased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours; drain.
- Spread ketchup over meat loaf. Bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMeat Loaf with Oatmeal
"Made as written except added some chopped sweet red pepper and 1 clove minced garlic. Tasty but a bit dry, I used 90%,lean meat so ,may have needed more fat . Very firm loaf , great to slice for sandwiches"
"When I saw this recipe featured on Facebook, I thought, "Oh! The Oatmeal Meatloaf. I need to make that soon!"The oats soak up lots of flavor from the meat, but keep a firm texture. The leftovers make excellent meatloaf sandwiches."
"Great texture and great flavor!"
"Looks Delicious ??!"
"This is very similar to mine. For my topping I mix ketchup, worcestershire sauce and a touch of brown sugar."
"Try using Bloody Mary Mix instead of any liquid. Fabulous"
"This is almost exactly like my meatloaf. I do add about a tsp. of Dijon mustard, a tbsp. dried parsley, some crushed dried rosemary and some thyme to the mixture. My kids always loved it!"
"I made this for supper last night and I thought it was delicious! Instead of just putting ketchup on top I added some brown sugar and mustard to it to give it more of a tangy topping. It held together very well. I will make this recipe again."
"I MADE THIS MEATLOAF THE OTHER EVENING, IT HELD TOGETHER NICELY, WHICH I FIND A PROBLEM WITH MANY RECIPES, THE FLAVOR WAS YUMMY, I USED SPICY KETCHUP WHICH I PROBABLY WON'T DO AGAIN, AS I FELT IT KINDA OVERPOWERED THE FLAVOR. I LOVE A GOOD MEATLOAF AND THIS IS A GOOD ONE"
"I put the catsup right in with the other ingredients and added another 1/4 cup of chopped onions and a 1/4 c. of chopped celery. Yes this tastes just like mom's meatloaf! Yummy!"