Meat Loaf Supper
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 2 thin slices deli ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, halved and cut into chunks
- In a bowl, combine the egg and milk. Stir in the bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, onion, tarragon, thyme, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 9-1/2x6-1/2x1/2-in. rectangle. Top with ham and cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange potatoes and carrots around meat loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Turn potatoes and carrots. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 574 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 1279mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 53g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 24, 2009
My sons liked this meatloaf. I used about 3 lbs of meat, but next time I would only increase the seasonings by 2-3 times. My potatoes and carrots were not done when the meat was, so next time I will cut them into small chunks. Frankly, I don't see how they can get done with the baking time given in the recipe. Maybe you'll have to parboil them first.