Meat Loaf Stew
Cooking hearty vegetables alongside makes this meat loaf an easy meal in one. I've made the recipe many times since I received it from a friend years ago. - Marian Tobin, Underhill, Vermont
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 6 medium onions, peeled
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Place potatoes, whole onions and carrots in a Dutch oven. Cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine milk, egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a large roasting pan. Drain vegetables; arrange around loaf. Combine the soup, water, brown sugar and mustard; pour over meat loaf and vegetables.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160° and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 487 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 674mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 8g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Meat Loaf Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book