Meat Loaf Gyros Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 8 pita breads, halved
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Press into an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160° drain.
- 3. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into thin slices. Place the meat loaf, onion and tomato into pita halves; drizzle with yogurt. Yield: 8 servings.
If you're not a fan of yogurt, use creamy cucumber or ranch salad dressing in Meat Loaf Gyros.
1 each: 360 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 996mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Gyros
"Tastes like the real thing, so easy to make, and makes for delicious left overs. Everyone I have introduced this to has loved it. I'd give 10 stars if I was able to!"