Meat Bun Bake
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 eggs
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the cabbage, onion, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the cabbage and onion are tender. Stir in cheese.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, blend the biscuit mix, milk and eggs. Pour over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
1 piece: 438 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 162mg cholesterol, 732mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Feb 17, 2011
I took one look at this recipe and thought, wow, there aren't ANY veggies in this. So, to ramify the situation, I made the following changes:
- chunks of seasoned chicken instead of ground beef
- increased the cabbage to 12 cups (would be pretty with a combination of red and green, but all I had was green)
- increased the onion to 2 cups (could have used more)
- increased the bake time to 25-35 minutes because the dish is now thicker
These changes made the dish serve 10, not 6.
We liked it with the changes, but I don't think the original recipe is worth making again. BUT, it was a lot easier than making individual meat pies.