Meat and Potato Pie
When I was working full-time, this hearty pie was a favorite of my family. Now that I'm retired , I still rely on this sure-to-please recipe.—Helen Ellingson, Swan River, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, cut shortening into biscuit mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Line ungreased pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges or make a decorative edge. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in soup and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Pour into pie shell. Top with carrots and mushrooms. Combine potatoes and sour cream; spread over pie. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Bake 15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand for 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 604 calories, 34g fat (15g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1542mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Meat and Potato Pie in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book