- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 loaves (16 ounces each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender; set aside.
- On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Arrange the salami, ham and cheeses lengthwise over half of each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with onion mixture; sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal well.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
Reviews forMeat 'n' Cheese Stromboli
"Since my family doesn't like salami, I subbed deli smoked turkey. I generally make 3 of these so I can freeze 2 of them. Family loves these. This is our Sunday night meal once a month . I will invite people over at many of these. My favorite cheeses are provolone and Gouda as both melt well."
"A long-time favorite! This is my family's go-to Stromboli recipe. Friends love it too!"
"My family love this recipe. I sometimes add mushrooms. and black olives."
"LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! So easy to make. I 've made it for a lot of potlucks and it's always devoured and the recipe requested."
"I have made this many times. It is so good, it makes great leftovers also. I always get great reviews when I make it for our football parties."
"We love this, and it freezes well too!"