Salsa gives zip to this hearty fix-and-forget-it meal from Dorothy Pritchett of Wills Point, Texas. "This recipe makes more than my husband and I can eat, so I freeze half of it. We think it tastes even better the second time," she adds.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups salsa
- 5 cups cooked medium egg noodles
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or blend of cheddar, Monterey Jack and American cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with the green pepper, corn and mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour salsa over mushrooms. Top with noodles. Pour tomatoes and water over all. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 421 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 1240mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Meal-In-One Casserole in Quick Cooking March/April 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.