Meal in a Packet
I came across this in my grandmother's recipe collection a few years back. It's easy to suit different people's tastes. --Jody Summersett, New Haven, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 envelope onion gravy mix
- 2 firm fresh tomatoes, halved
- Shape beef into four patties. Place each on an ungreased 14-in. square of heavy-duty foil. Arrange carrots and green pepper around patties. Sprinkle with gravy mix. Place a tomato half, cut side down, on each patty. Fold foil around meat and vegetables; seal tightly. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
It's simple to take Meal in a Packet with you on a picnic. Assemble the packets and put them in a cooler. Grill over medium-high heat for about 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 262 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 438mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Meal in a Packet in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Mar 13, 2012
A little bland. I would suggest spicing up the meat a little to give it more flavor.
Jun 7, 2010
These packets are an all-time favorite for camping and cookouts. Sometimes I include very thinly sliced potatoes.