Maui-Inspired Turkey Breast Roll
"This is the most delicious turkey I've ever had. I came up with it because my family loves macadamia nuts. The sage garlic butter rub gives the turkey a lovely taste." Leimomi Lear, Wakefield, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 boneless turkey breast halves (2 to 2-1/2 pounds each)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- Remove skin from the turkey breasts; set aside. Flatten turkey breasts to 3/8-in. thickness. Place breasts side by side so that they are overlapping slightly. Combine 1/2 cup butter, garlic and sage; rub over turkey.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter. Add celery and onion; saute until tender. Add the broth, nuts and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Stir in stuffing cubes.
- Spread stuffing mixture over turkey to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, rolling turkey away from you; arrange skin over top of roll. Tie with kitchen string at 2-in. intervals.
- Place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Combine pineapple juice and olive oil; set aside.
- Bake turkey at 325° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting occasionally with pineapple juice mixture.
- Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. For gravy, add broth to the pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and pineapple juice until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey.
How-To: How to Make a Turkey Roll»
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 489 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Maui Sage Turkey Roll Stuffed with Roasted Macadamia Nut Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 2010