Master Bread Dough Recipe
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages Active Dry or RapidRise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups of flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt. Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120°-130°). Gradually add mixture to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place kneaded dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-60 minutes. (With RapidRise Yeast, cover kneaded dough and let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.) Shape, let rise and bake according to options below:
- 2. LOAF: (use half of dough): Roll dough into a 12x7-in. rectangle. Beginning at short end, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place, seam side down, in greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
- 3. ONION ROLLS: (use half of dough): Divide dough into 10 equal pieces; shape into smooth balls. Place in a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-60 minutes. Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons dried minced onion. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until done, covering with foil during the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Yield: 10 rolls.
- 4. SOFT HERB BREADSTICKS: (use half of dough): Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; roll each into a 15-in. rope. Twist each rope several times if desired. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until risen slightly, about 10-20 minutes. Lightly beat 1 egg white; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle with herbs or herb blends such as oregano, dill weed or Italian herb seasoning. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until done. Remove from sheets; let cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 slice: 198 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Master Bread Dough
"easy and great It has worked for everything I have used it for"
"I made the soft herb breadsticks for lunch they were great with soup. I brushed some olive oil and sprinkle some garlic powder on the top. Wonderful recipe."
"This is my go-to for pizza crust. Delicious!"