Mashed Winter Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Place the rutabaga, turnips, parsnips and carrots in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain and place the vegetables in a large bowl; mash. Add the milk, butter, salt, pepper and sugar; stir until blended.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 89 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 25, 2014
Mmmm: I omitted the carrots & parsnips, & substituted Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 2 tablespoons honey. Then I sprinkled in nutmeg & cinnamon. Delicious this way.
Nov 24, 2013
We love this at Thanksgiving or anytime! Just remember to take the hard center out of the parsnips before cooking!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.