"Mashed Potatoes with Ham evolved from scalloped potatoes, which are tasty but time-consuming to bake. "I warmed up leftover mashed potatoes, then decided to throw in some ham to save a dish," Kathy explains. "The next time I made it, I added a cheese and crumb topping to give this casserole an appealing golden look."
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk with butter)
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine onion and 1 tablespoon of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Add potatoes, ham, onion salt and pepper; mix well. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and cornflakes; dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mashed Potatoes with Ham in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p17
Reviews forMashed Potatoes with Ham
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 7, 2013
"This recipe was very easy to make and tasted wonderful. If you have leftover mashed potatoes this is a delicious way to use them up!"